TO: Utah State Board of Education Members
FROM: Utah Education Association
DATE: August 25, 2014
SUBJECT: State Superintendent of Public Instruction – MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Dear Board of Education Members:
I don’t envy the task you have ahead in sorting through the applicants and selecting a leader to fill the Superintendent of Public Instruction position. The person filling this important post not only carries out the strategic direction set by the Board, but is also the “face” of Utah public education to school administrators, teachers, classified staff, parents and students.
In order to effectively implement statewide public education policy, the UEA believes it is imperative the person selected for this position have shared experience with teachers and administrators…someone who understands the complex intricacies of public education policy, knows what it is like in a classroom, and can garner the respect of those they will be directing.
To this end, the teachers of Utah call on the State Board of Education to seek a State Superintendent of Public Instruction who possesses the following minimum qualifications:
· Relevant public school classroom experience including knowledge of public school curriculum, education policy, research and best practices
· Relevant public school administrative experience, including knowledge of education finance, school budgets, human resources, employee contracts and education law.
· Advanced degree in education
· Proven record of collaboration with multiple stakeholders
· Ability to be the superintendent to superintendents
As representatives of Utah’s educators, the Utah Education Association looks forward to participation, as a stakeholder, in the Superintendent selection process.
Thank you for your service to Utah public education.
Sharon Gallagher-Fishbaugh, NBCT, MA
2009 Utah Teacher of the Year